5.3 Fixing the Development Gap
• To understand about reducing the range of theories and approaches about reducing the development gap
• To consider different aid strategies
• To have looked at the role of trade and investment in reducing the development gap
• To appreciate that the future for many poor people is bleak unless difficult choices are made by key players
Collaborative work in small groups – working to strengths – you will have a designated scribe who has a proven record of writing in a discursive manner. The aim is for you to learn how they apply their craft and bring this into your own work!
Each group is going to contribute a couple of carefully crafted paragraphs to answer a tricky Development Gap past paper question.
The Essay Question:
Evaluate the role of different global organisations in narrowing the development gap  Jan 2010
Textbooks References: Red Book Pages 121 to 128
Green Book 158 to 173
Additional Photocopies in your folders for your designated topic
Websites: Start with email@example.com – for the interactive version of this sheet
Access using your BYOD
• http://cepa.newschool.edu/het/schools/develop.htm summary of economic development theories
• http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/05/business_aid_and_development/html/5.stm trends in aid
• http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/fandd/2006/12/sundberg.htm making aid work from the IMF
• http://www.fairtrade.org.uk/ examples of fair trade
Ensure your notes cover the following approaches:
Focus upon the key features of the approach, example locations or countries where it has been used and any positive or negative impacts.
Group 1: International Aid (including Debt Cancellation)(IGOs, UN, WHO, OXFAM…)
Group 2: Trade and Investment (WTO,IMF, TNCs)
Group 3: Technology – Bridging the digital divide (TNCs)
Once you have completed your contributions, email them to Mr Killick – firstname.lastname@example.org , where they will be amalgamated into an almost complete essay.
Your final task will be to edit the existing essay to your own style and add at least one more strategy (suggestion below) for fixing the development gap and to write a conclusion.
Direct Foreign Investment: South-South Co-operation (China in Africa)
MDGs – role of UN and other NGOs